Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Apps

I'm skipping around here because I am still deciding if I like Scoopit (the next 23Things task). But I already went over everything relating to the apps.

The process is relatively simple. I had an iPhone before with Overdrive on it, now I have an Android Nexus 5 (which is great and more affordable, but requires more DIY ethic). Downloading a book is easy, reading is easy, no problem.

I do this frequently as a reference librarian in Moncton, so it is nothing new. As long as you can get overdrive onto the device and don't have to add the extra step of going through Adobe Digital Editions and all that, it goes smoothly.

In terms of using the online library, I can't stand reading on digital devices and I am not an audio-book person (maybe on the next big drive I will give it a shot?), so that is about it for me.

The last thing today is BiblioNB, which appears to be the app that was made for us by Bibliocommons. I have used it on Android and iOS.  It is fine--it works as advertised. My only criticism is that the logo that we supplied to Bibliocommons is really low quality, so when I launch the app I get a grainy, unprofessional looking welcome to the NB Public Library. Might be that it is just that the logo is from before people had HD screens on their phones (that wasn't that long ago really), but it something that we should try to fix when the app is next updated.

Finally, I wrote this ages ago and forgot to publish it. Oops!

No comments:

Post a Comment